The Broomfield House Trust has launched a crowdfunding exercise to help restore the figure of Minerva from the Lanscroon Murals to show what a more complete reinstalled hall might look like. Conservation experts have been selected to carry this out, and we have been promised display space at the museum in the Dugdale Centre in May 2018. See our Facebook page and MyDonate page and consider donating to or even sponsoring the project.For more details, see www.broomfieldhouse.org and facebook.com/BroomfieldHouseTrust.
Broomfield house was sold to London merchant Joseph Jackson in 1624 after several previous occupants. During the 150 years that the Jackson family were in possession of the house, the house was internally remodelled to a considerable extent. The grand staircase was built and the murals were painted by Gerard Lanscroon and the surrounding Broomfield Park was also created.
During the late 18th century to early 19th century the once U-shaped building was altered into a rectangular shape, enclosing the once east-facing courtyard. After a period where the house was let to tenants, the house and 54 acres (220,000 m2) of land was sold to prevent development to Southgate Urban District Council, who opened the park to the public in 1903.
Between 1907 and 1910 the building housed Southgate County School, with Southgate's first maternity centre opening there in 1917.
The building was classified as Grade II* in 1950 because of its history and architectural uniqueness